Furnace Repairs – Repair vs. Replacement
Friday, November 7, 2014
For many homeowners, the task of taking care of furnace repairs often gets put off. It gets put on a to-do list and then forgotten. The problem is that neglecting to take care of these repairs could lead to the need for major repairs. In some cases it may even lead to the need for replacement.
The best thing you can do to prolong the life of your heating and cooling system is to get it checked annually and take care of any repairs needed. If you notice any changes in the performance of your HVAC unit then you should have it looked at. But in some cases the time finally comes that you need to have it replaced.
Common Signs of Furnace Distress
The first thing to consider is the age of your unit. The older the model the more likely it is going to need to be replaced soon. In some cases, families choose to replace their older furnace to transition to a newer eco-friendly and energy efficient unit. Here are some of the most common signs of distress:
- Rocking, rattling or vibration noises – this could mean that the heat exchanger is cracked. It could be something as simple as a loose panel. But it could also mean that dangerous toxins are getting into your home’s air if it is something more serious.
- Low rumbling sound – If you have an oil burning unit it may be a sign that oil is getting into the combustion chamber. This can also lead to dangerous fumes inside your home.
- Scraping sound – This usually means the system’s ball bearings are almost worn out. You need to turn it off and call your repair person immediately.
- High pitched squealing noise – This is usually an indication that the blower belt is slipping or frayed. But could also mean that the ball bearings require lubrication.
- Flickering or yellow pilot light – This is the result of built up carbon dioxide around gas burning furnaces. You can try adjusting the screw near the light but if it does not return to the normal blue color then it is time to call in a pro.
Make the Smart Choice
Whether you need furnace repairs, replacement or just a furnace inspection the name to trust in is My Service Company. Our team of experts is ready, willing and eager to get the job done. And with our upfront pricing you will never have to worry about surprises after the job is done. Contact us today for the most trusted name in furnace repairs.
If you’re looking for a plumbing, heating, or cooling services in the Lethbridge area, then please give us a call at 403-327-9349 or complete our online request form.